Fear And Overwhelm… Anybody experienced it?
Like many of you finishing your exams, I experienced it after my 2nd year at King’s College London.
Exams were finished. People were celebrating, except… I wasn’t.
I knew not having an internship would set me back for top graduate roles.
As someone who is competitive, this terrified me.
I didn’t eat. I didn’t sleep.
Looking back on it, these feelings were misplaced.
At this point in my life, I know that my goal is to be constantly growing in every area. Achieving this involves learning ways of dealing with fear. Because the only difference between those who are very successful in life and those who just get by is? The ability to act regardless of negative emotion. Here are a few tips that I have found very useful in managing unwanted emotions.
- Be purpose orientated. When you have a purpose in life, obstacles along the way are looked at as simply that, obstacles, not impenetrable barriers.
- Know that everybody experiences the same. Anybody who has arrived where you want to be has faced and overcome the same problems. Know you can do the same.
- Understand you’re stronger than you think. From my own knowledge, many of those situations that seemed impossible at the time, I overcame successfully. Don’t question your ability to succeed.
- Face life one day at a time. Don’t worry about issues that do not yet exist. Most of the things we worry about in fact will never exist.
- Break down tasks. Be aware of the big picture but break tasks down into smaller manageable pieces and the goal will become much easier. Remember, whenever we are faced with a new situation, fear and overwhelm naturally follow.